I sometimes ask myself whether I wear the word "stupid" writen in my forehead, do I?
Look closely because I am pretty sure I do...
If not, why the hell these people who call themselves writers treat me as if I were. Where is the point of telling me EVERYTHING that's happening and advertising me of what will happen in the next hundred pages.... obviously if I know, I won't finish to read the f*** book!
Yeah, got it. It really piss me off not to be allowed to imagine, to think, to explore. Don't tell me a character is angry, SHOW me the anger; don't tell me someone is a mess but SHOW me. Don't worry, I will understand. And if I don't it'll be MY problem.
And please, stop showing the thoughts of a character you are not meant to be. Because it makes the text be awkward. If you stand by the main character, be faithful to it and if you decide you are in all your characters mind is alright. BUT you cannot tell me that the guy who passing by is happy or sad or is doubtful! Tell me he is smiling or that he has a cristalline sight or that he is looking alternatively right to left, plz!
One more thing. If you are that lucky that you're knowledge about what you write is deep and wide. Congratulations, great for you! But, please, try not to teach me (or at least not so evidently) because if I want to learn history, I can read a history book and if I really need to know where I have to go to find a middle age contract I will ask someone else in the archive! I won't come back to your book where you say that depending the contract you want you should go here or there, got it? Again, if you feel that is TOTALLY necessary to know these details to comprehend the whole text and the story, don't make me feel I'm in a class and you are giving me a page-length explanation.
Cuz, you know what? The beauty of a book, of a text is that every single person who reads it will have their own interpretation. Scaring, isn't it? I know it's easier to tell exactly what I have to know, what I have to think, what I have to ask myself BUT that's not the point! I want real people, not just characters, I want real names (we don't call our friends by their name and surname, come on), make me believe you, your little people and your story!
I am not saying the story is bad, it is actually ok. The only problem is that I don't buy it.
A story is something alive and every reader will see different details in it. If the text has a purpose and the words are specifically chosen, don't be surprised if someone don't get it because every reader give to the story a different meaning. The most important thing is whether you are actually able to transmit and make someone dream, if you can take someone off the settie and drive him softly to another place; if you can make someone feel not only the joy and the happiness, but the pain, the despair, the distress; if you can make someone care, feel, think, laugh or cry, then you've got it.
I'm not gonna say it's easy. It's actually quite complicate but it's challenging. So give it a try.
Make me dream, feel, imagine, think, care, believe, smile, and I'll be there waiting for you.
No sé quin llibre t'estàs llegint... però no me'l recomanis!! ;)
ResponElimina