dissabte, 9 de juliol del 2011

Rain in Edinburgh


When I left my place, the sky was brilliant blue and only few scattered clouds would cover its immensity. I’ve walked up to the old building where the National Library is housed and just a few minutes later I’ve heard the first thunder which has made the magnificent colored glass of the windows shiver. And just after, even being inside the building I’ve heard the pouring rain fall and flood the main street.

Two hours after I’ve tried to make my way home but it was raining so hard that I’ve had to stop in a café to wait it to clear up. No need to say that when I’ve sat just in front of a massive window, the few uncovered holes have disappeared. Now a solid layer of white-grey-yellowish cloud is placed upon us and it seems it will never stop draining water. The street is completely flooded and the pipes up the roofs are already overwhelmed with the amount of water they have to hold so it falls towards the floor in streams.

Now, a lighting, one, two… the thunder… the storm is just above us and the lights from the place I’m staying are twinkling. There is a kind of dim white light that wraps everything. In front of me, an old church appears even more magnificent, menacing the angry sky with its pointing towers. Somehow, the water finds its way through and draws phantasmagorical shapes over its wall lighting up the red shade of the stones.

Now and then the rain seems to stop but actually it is not. The drops are just smaller and even more constant and when the fall onto the puddles, lots of little bubbles appear only destroyed by the cars passing by.

I would like to go out, walk in the Meadows and run across the shining green if its grass, or swing high up in the children’s park. I would like to have the time to enjoy this rain that people seem to fear, hiding themselves under useless umbrellas.

Would you come?

Cap comentari:

Publica un comentari a l'entrada